My company has (finally) given me the company van they told me I was getting this time last year. So I spent much of the weekend moving my work stuff (copier parts and tools) from my Jeep into the van and organizing the van by adding storage units and such to the van. I did get to run trains a bit this weekend, and I got to run my new locomotive.
I really need to keep away for the auctions on Trainz.com. I have bought that Forney, a Mogul, some Bachmann tenders (see previous post), and another F3. The F3 needs some repairs, but the price was right. I really need to get my workroom cleaned up, I know, I have said that before. Once its cleaned up, I can get back to work in there. Maybe now that its getting dark so early, and its cooling off around here, I will find the time and motivation to get back to my projects.
Last weekend I added another shelf to my track-side storage cabinet. Each shelf holds 9 cars. Since I added that shelf, I started unboxing cars I had in storage, and bringing them up to the standards for the P&CSRR. That means properly gauged metal wheels and KaDee couplers. I didn't realize there were so many cars still in boxes. I think I have now found them all. These 3 cars should be the last of the stragglers.
Of the 9 new spaces added to the storage unit, I have filled 8 of them. So I guess I will be adding another shelf soon. There is only room for one more shelf. To put it in, I will need to find a new home for the automobiles that are currently stored there. I am still amazed at how much equipment I have collected over the years. When I set out to build a garden railroad, I never thought I would end up with so much stuff.
The last week of July was the week I took off from work for vacation. Most of that week was taken up with house repairs and some reorganizing of stuff around here. But the Thursday of my vacation week, we (my mom and I) went and rode on the Northern Central in New Freedom PA.
Its a replica of a civil war era train, and our narrator/guide for the trip was dressed up like Laura Engels. It was a really interesting trip, and quite enjoyable.
This past weekend I built another shelf in my track-side storage cabinet and decided to unbox some of the new equipment that I haven't run yet. One item is an LGB Mogul I purchased in an online auction. This is an older Mogul, without sound nor MTS. Now, since I never was fond of the LGB tenders, I also purchased a pair of Bachmann tenders in another online auction. Today I tried running the LGB Mogul with a Bachmann tender. That unlikely pair ran just fine all afternoon.
Also in the picture is a new USA reefer that Bill Ness graciously gave me, and a recently purchased Piko boxcar..
This weekend was at the train show in Monroeville. Both HO clubs I belong to participated, together, at the show. So that's what I was doing all weekend. Last weekend, I spent the fourth of July napping because of this darn cold. Then Saturday and Sunday I was rebuilding the top of the chimney on our house, and painting our storage barn. So I have no real progress to report on the railroad.
Yesterday, while sitting by my pond, I saw 2 baby goldfish, so the population of fish in my pond has increased by at least 2. I probably wont know for sure how many are in my pond again, since they don't all come out at the same time, and they certainly don't hold still long enough to be counted.
I did win a few online auctions, so now I have an LGB Mogul, without sound, to bash and 3 more Bachmann flat cars. I also have 2 Bachmann Big Hauler's tenders for a locomotive bash I am planning. So I have plenty of things to fuss with, if I ever have free time, and ambition, at the same point and time.
The flat car project is inching along. As promised, here are some photos of the cars.
I was hoping to have them done this weekend, but my mom brought home a really nasty cold from her job. She works in a nursing home. That cold has had me dragging for the past week.
Since I took the pictures, I have painted the hardware that I added to the cars the same red color the cars are. I also have printed out and copied the artwork, so its just a matter of transferring the artwork to the cars and adding the brake wheels to them. Or it would be simple, if I wasn't coming home from work and taking a nap every day. Today I am feeling a bit better, so hopefully I can out-shop the cars soon. I know, I keep saying that, but I keep hoping its true.